We cannot afford to miss the remarkable rise of Chinese business ecosystems. Alibaba and their peers Baidu, Tencent, Xiaomi, and LeEco showcase unprecedented growth and success in China and are expanding their impact globally. With a combined market capitalization of close to 600 billion USD, incubating over 1,000 new ventures and an average annual growth of over 50%, they have become a force to reckon with for the likes of Google, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, and IBM. ‘Business ecosystem’ is a frequently used concept to describe the unique competitive advantages of the American technology giants. This book explores not only the application of a business ecosystem approach in the Chinese context but also deals with the key strategic question: How did these five Chinese business ecosystems grow so rapidly and successfully?
The book takes the growth and transformation of Alibaba’s business ecosystem as a focus case in comparison with Baidu, Tencent, Xiaomi, and LeEco. These business ecosystems developed in less than 20 years and transformed from organic growth to rapid expansion by investment and acquisition, entrepreneurship and incubation of new ventures, continuous innovation, and internationalization. This book brings insights and practical lessons on leading, creating, and disrupting markets for corporate executives and professionals in global business, a comparative case study for researchers and students of management, and food for thought on Chinese ways of doing business.
Table of Contents
Part I: Business ecosystems in China
1. Rise of business ecosystems in China
Part II: Alibaba case
2. Alibaba’s ecosystem transformation: strategic change
3. Expanding by investing: speeding up the growth of Alibaba’s business ecosystem
4. Ecosystem entrepreneurship: five cases of venturing in Alibaba’s business ecosystem
5. Continuous innovation: Ant Financial pioneering Internet finance (Chinese FinTech)
6. Alibaba’s business ecosystem going global
Part III: Beyond Alibaba: the leading Chinese ecosystems of Baidu, Tencent, Xiaomi, and LeEco
7. The business ecosystems of Baidu and Tencent
8. Newcomers Xiaomi and LeEco
9. Comparing Chinese business ecosystems
10. Chinese business ecosystems: lessons from BATXL