Learning from China’s Retail Revolution
Read my Harvard Business Review magazine article on How Chinese retailers are reinventing the customer journey HBR’s 10 MUST READS 2023!!
China’s new retail revolution will completely transform how the world thinks about retail and digital innovation. But is the world ready yet? In this book, the authors share an insider’s perspective on what is happening in China to reveal the future for global retail, and a clear framework to help you prepare.
The book presents a number of real-world cases, based on interviews and first-hand consumer experience, to decode China’s retail revolution so that you can understand what is happening and why, and what it means for the rest of the world. Crucially, the book identifies five critical stages in the development of new retail that global retail executives need to grasp now: lifestyle commerce, Online-Merge-Offline retail, social retail, livestream retail and invisible retail. To help the industry get ready for this new, China-inspired paradigm in retail, the authors present a practical and simple framework – a ten-year strategic roadmap for global retail executives, which we call the “Beyond” the Value Chain Model.
China’s new retail is not just about fashion, cosmetics, snacks, data-driven convenient stores and commercial live streaming. At a time when the world of retail is being upended, it offers inspirational lessons in innovation, purpose and agility for global executives across the entire retail spectrum.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction: The New World of Disruption
Part I: Four Pillars Of New Retail
2. The Rise of China’s E-commerce: A Two-Decade Boom
3. The Ubiquitous Express Delivery: The Hidden Power of Retail
4. Third-party Payment: Turning China Into a Cashless Society
5. Social Media Platforms: The New Retail Accelerator
Part II: Five Stages Of New Retail
6. Location-Based e-Commerce: Lifestyle Remade
7. Fresh Food: Merging Online and Offline
8. Social E-commerce: Reaching the Bottom of the Pyramid
9. Livestream Celebrity Selling: Taking Retail By Storm
10. Ultimate Experience Retail: When Craft Meets e-Commerce
Part III: Making Sense Of New Retail
11. Three Kingdoms: The Invisible Hand of Ecosystems
12. The Conclusion: Retail Reinvented in China for The World